Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

August 15

Posted by on Aug 15, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“She out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood” (Mk 12:44). A woman told me she had lost half her oil fortune in the recent economic downturn. “Can you tell me how to get it back?” she asked. “No, but I can tell you how to keep the other half.” “How?” “By giving it away for the Lord.” The principle is clear; we only get to keep what we give away for Him. Big-time farming is expensive. If we think the advancement of the work of God in this world will be done for free, we only need to read the history of the early church, and the sacrificial giving involved, to understand the costliness of evangelism. It is largely those who understood what the widow understood—that all belongs to Him—who are ready to pay the price. Many think nothing of spending thousands on a vacation, but balk at spending hundreds to see souls reached. This is not only counterfeit Christianity; it is bad economics. Heaven’s bank is the only safe haven for our investments.

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 66; Jeremiah 1-2 Memorize: Acts 15:8-9

August 14

Posted by on Aug 14, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

The Psalms are often used as Messianic proofs in the preaching of our Lord and His disciples. Christ said to His own, “Everything must be fulfilled that is written about Me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms” (Lk 24:44). Risto Santala (The Messiah in the OT, p. 108) writes: “The New Testament borrows 224 separate passages from 103 different psalms, and, with the same passages appearing in different places, this gives a total of 280 psalm quotations in the NT.” Approximately 50 of these deal with the sufferings, death, burial, resurrection, ascension of Christ, and the spreading of the gospel to all nations. It is interesting to note that the Midrash and early Jewish scholars found the Messiah in many more places than are recorded in the New Testament. We don’t always think of the Psalms as apologetic, but that’s how the early believers often used them. Get to know the Messianic Psalms; they are useful in the gospel and cause for much worship to the Lord.

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 63-65 Memorize: Acts 15:8-9

August 13

Posted by on Aug 13, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean” (Lk 5:12). Bruce Olson was raised in a Lutheran family in Minneapolis. He heard sermons on the need for change, but never about the power to change. One night at age 14, he prayed, “Lord, everything is messed up around me. And its messed up in me, too. But, please, God, I want to change. I can’t do it myself. And I don’t understand how You can do anything within me. But, Jesus, if You could change all those people in the Bible, I guess You can change me. Please, Jesus, let me know You. Make me new.” When he was 19, the Lord led him, without aid of mission board or promise of support from anyone but the Lord, to serve among a much feared tribe, the Motilone Indians in Colombia. Unapproachable till faith led him among them, he had the joy—in spite of disease, loneliness, and torture—to see hundreds of these Stone Age people put their trust in the Lord. His story, an amazing read, is told in Bruchko.

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 60-62 Memorize: Acts 13:38-39

August 12

Posted by on Aug 12, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me…and I will love him and manifest Myself to him” (Jn 14:21). The call of Christ is clear, comprehensive and compelling. He gave His life for me and now offers to live His life in and through me. I owe Him everything. It is possible to be a theoretical disciple, standing for all He says except that particular aspect of the Lord’s sovereign right which the world is objecting to at the moment, or which the Spirit is seeking to work into my life at present. Of this, Martin Luther wrote: “If I profess with the loudest voice and clearest exposition every portion of the truth of God except precisely that little point which the world and the devil are attacking at that moment, I am not confessing Christ, however boldly I may be professing Christ. Where the battle rages, there the loyalty of the soldier is proved, and to be steady on all battlefields besides, is mere flight and disgrace if he flinches at that point.”

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 57-59 Memorize: Acts 5:30-31

August 11

Posted by on Aug 11, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Chuck Colson, one-time “hatchet man” for President Nixon, was being interviewed by an Australian radio host. With just 20 seconds left, the host asked, “Mr. Colson,…the goals most people strive their whole lives for, you have achieved—only to see it collapse as you fell from the White House to prison. But now you’re out, leading a new life as a Christian. It’s like having lived two lives. How would you sum up the meaning of those two lives?” In 20 seconds? “Then in a flash the answer came. ‘If my life stands for anything,’ I said quickly, ‘it is the truth of the teaching of Jesus Christ, “…whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for Me will find it. What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?”’ (Mt 16:25-26).” Colson adds, “I had spent the first 40 years of my life seeking the whole world, to the neglect of my soul…By God’s grace, I lost my life in order that I might find true life in Christ.” —Who Speaks for God? Introduction

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 54-56 Memorize: Acts 4:33

August 10

Posted by on Aug 10, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Dr. Gerald McKibben comments on the current argument that the degree of similarity between the DNA of men and chimpanzees supposedly proves the evolutionary link between humans and apes: “God used DNA and RNA as the backbone of His genetic blueprints for all organisms, from one-celled ones to the great blue whale. He did not design a different blueprint system for each class of creature.” He then points out that humans share a 50% similarity with the DNA of bananas, 60% similarity with fruit flies, and 75% similarity with nematodes, a worm with the scientific name Caenorhabditis elegans. He writes: “An article in Science a few years ago reported an 81% match between the protein collagen of humans and frogs, and a 97% match between human and cow collagen. Evidence of a common evolutionary descent? No, proof that God used the same basic material to build all organisms…” Give God the glory for His amazing creation today!

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 51-53 Memorize: Acts 4:12

August 9

Posted by on Aug 9, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever…Now this is the word which by the gospel was preached to you” (1 Pet 1:23, 25). Michael Boland, in his introduction to John Flavel’s The Mystery of Providence (p. 11), tells the story of Luke Short who heard Flavel preach in Dartmouth, England, when he was a boy. In his mid-teens, Short emigrated to New England. There he lived a long and prosperous life without much thought of God. Then Boland describes what happened: “One day as he sat in his fields reflecting upon his long life, he recalled the sermon he had heard in Dartmouth as a boy before he sailed to America. The horror of dying under the curse of God was impressed upon him as he meditated on the words he had heard so long ago and he was converted to Christ—eighty-five years after hearing John Flavel preach.” Pray today for the Spirit’s germination of gospel seed sown in hearts in years past!

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 46-50 Memorize: Acts 3:19