Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

June 23

Posted by on Jun 23, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

One treasure for which the heart longs is the security of unchanging love. It is the believer’s certainty that there is nothing that “shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Rom 8:39). George Matheson, in spite of a deteriorating eye condition, graduated from Glasgow University at age nineteen. While in grad school, he completely lost his sight but persevered in learning both Greek and Hebrew with the help of his sisters. But his fiancée, unwilling to face life with a blind husband, returned his engagement ring. In the depths of his disappointment, Matheson wrote the stirring words: “O love that wilt not let me go, I rest my weary soul in Thee; I give Thee back the life I owe, That in Thine ocean’s depths its flow May richer, fuller, be. O cross that liftest up my head, I dare not ask to fly from Thee; I lay in dust life’s glory, dead, And from the ground there blossoms red, Life that shall endless be.” He became one of Scotland’s most beloved preachers.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 91-93  Memorize: Luke 16:31

June 22

Posted by on Jun 22, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

One of the reasons that sinful or worldly habits are so expensive is that they shut our mouths as gospel witnesses. King David knew this. In one penitential psalm, he wrote, “Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord does not impute iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile. When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long. For day and night Thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah” (Ps 32:2-4). We need to seek the Lord’s help daily so that our lifestyle always suits the gospel (Phil 1:27). As Leonard Ravenhill forcefully stated it, “We Christians are debtors to all men at all times in all places, but we are so smug to the lostness of men. We’ve been “living in Laodicea,” lax, loose, lustful, and lazy. Why is there this criminal indifference to the lostness of men? Our condemnation is that we know how to live better than we are living.” We can’t expect sinners to take their sin seriously if we don’t deal with ours!

Today’s Reading: Psalms 86-90  Memorize: Luke 16:13

June 21

Posted by on Jun 21, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“What will a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Mk 8:37). Rowland Hill (1744-1833) had preached to large crowds before. Once, it is recorded, he preached to 20,000 at Calton Hill in Edinburgh. On this occasion, the scene is Moorfields Common and he is preaching when the carriage of Lady Ann Erskine approaches. Every eye is drawn away to the new arrival. But the preacher seizes on the situation. “Let us conduct an auction,” he declares. “The article offered is the soul of Lady Ann Erskine, and there are three bidders! The world offers riches, honors and pleasures; the devil offers all the kingdoms of this earth and the glory of them; the Lord Jesus Christ offers grace here and glory hereafter. Who shall have the soul of Lady Ann Erskine?” The words, we are told, make a deep impression on the lady’s heart, and by them she was brought under deep conviction of her sin before the Lord, and later, into the liberty of the gospel of God’s redeeming grace.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 83-85  Memorize: Luke 15:20

June 20

Posted by on Jun 20, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Is it wrong to assert that God died on the Cross? The purpose of the incarnation is carefully explained in these words: “We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone” (Heb 2:9). God “has immortality” (athanasia, “no death,” 1 Tim 6:16) and therefore is impervious to death (the verse is speaking about the Son). The Son must take on humanity to die. “Inasmuch then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death” (Heb 2:14). God cannot die; thus the necessity of Christ’s incarnation (in flesh). While it is true that the One on the cross was “God…manifest in flesh” (1 Tim 3:16), and so was capable of death, He was not subject to it, as we are (see Jn 10:17-18). It is a great mystery: He became what He was not, while not ceasing to be what He ever was.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 80-82  Memorize: Luke 15:10

June 19

Posted by on Jun 19, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

I was to be giving a talk on evidence for God at a college in Appleton, Wisconsin. Two atheists near the front were acting as a tag team to dominate the session with their arguments. I wanted to be polite but the time was disappearing. I cried to the Lord to intervene. When they paused momentarily, an American Indian spoke from the back: “My grandfather started abusing me when I was four years old. I fled the home, pregnant, at 14. I began to drink and use drugs to kill the pain. I ended up in prison. Now,” she said to the atheists, “sitting there in my prison cell, what would your philosophy do for me?” Silence. She continued: “I met Jesus in prison and He turned my hell into heaven.” The atheists gathered up their books to leave. “Don’t leave now,” I implored. “It’s just getting good. What you believe does make a difference. All the difference in the world.” But they retreated, nothing left to say. O the power of personal testimony: “One thing I know” (Jn 9:25). — J.B.N.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 77-79  Memorize: Luke 13:23-24

June 18

Posted by on Jun 18, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Mark Cahill writes: “If it doesn’t matter on the day you die, it doesn’t matter. Will it matter on the day you die if you made a million dollars or owned two houses…? No. Will it matter on the day you die if you knew the Bible better than you knew today’s newspaper? Yes. Will it matter on the day you die if you prayed more than you watched television? Yes. Will it matter on the day you die if you shared your faith with lost sinners? You’d better believe it will. We must, as believers, live lives that have eternal value, not just temporary value. In Matthew 6:19-21 Jesus tells us, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” If we know where our heart is, we will know where our treasure is.— One Thing You Can’t Do In Heaven, pp 169-170

Today’s Reading: Psalms 74-76  Memorize: Luke 13:1-3

June 17

Posted by on Jun 17, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

J.J. Rouse, in Pioneer Work in Canada, tells the story of a man converted in his hometown of Oro, Ontario. He described the man as “a noted character, who for years had been a ringleader in…general mischief. It was in the autumn, and the threshing of the grain was taking place…There would be from 12 to 15 men engaged on a crew to do the work and they deliberately…made all kinds of attacks on their old pal. All this had no effect except to cause our friend to rejoice that he was ‘counted worthy to suffer shame for His name’ (Acts 5:41). But Satan will never give up until resisted by the Word of God. The last thing the enemy resorted to was to circulate a story reflecting on this man’s character…For a moment he lost his temper…making for the man who started the story. But an older believer stepped in his way and said, “‘Mac, God has saved you that through your testimony of the Lord you might attract others to Him. Do you think you are going to do that now?’”

Today’s Reading: Psalms 71-73  Memorize: Luke 12:40