Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

January 18

Posted by on Jan 18, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Didn’t Jesus receive a sinful nature through His mother Mary? Mary was not “immaculately conceived” in her mother’s womb. The Bible does not teach this; Mary knew she needed a Savior (Lk 1:47). Besides, this doesn’t solve the problem—it only moves it back one generation. Human reasoning will always leave us with Job’s question: “Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean?” (14:4). He answered his own query with the brief “not one.” He could not anticipate “the mystery of godliness…God was manifest in the flesh” (1 Tim 3:16). We take the words of the angel at face value: “The Holy Ghost shall come upon you, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you: therefore also that Holy One who is to be born will be called the Son of God” (Lk 1:35). Our Lord Jesus is “holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners” (Heb 7:26). God brought a woman out of a man without a mother in Eden, and this Man out of a woman without a father at the incarnation.

Today’s Reading: Exodus 4-6  Memorize: Psalm 3:8

January 17

Posted by on Jan 17, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

When I look over an audience and think of the misery that you and I do not see, that He does see, I think I understand what it means, “When He saw the multitude, He was moved with compassion” (Mt 9:36). We ought to have more compassion. How many times I have had to upbraid myself for this…One day my wife told me that one of the children in my Sunday school had been drowned. I took my little girl, four years old, and started for the home…the mother sat by the dead child, stroking her hair…The husband sat in the corner—drunk. I looked after the woman’s simple requests all very mechanically, then we started out for home. When we reached the street, my little girl said, “Papa, did you feel bad for that poor mother?” The child had been shocked at her own father. How that question cut me to the heart. I could not speak. I led the child home, then I went into my room, got on my knees and asked God to forgive me, and to give me a tender heart.—D.L. Moody

Today’s Reading: Exodus 1-3  Memorize: Psalm 3:4

January 16

Posted by on Jan 16, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

The Lord Jesus Christ dominates the Scriptures as the sun dominates our solar system. As the Eternal Son, He acts through creation and history. As the virgin’s Son, He joins the stream of our race, the tributary destined to unite the currents of Jew and Gentile, and to divide our river into two courses: one flowing with ever-increasing depth to the ocean of everlasting love; the other flowing darkly…to be swallowed up at last in the Saharan sands of the second death…No article, no book, no library, no university can contain the infinite treasure of the revelation of God in His Son…for He is altogether lovely; grace has been poured into His lips—they are like lilies dropping sweet-smelling myrrh (Song of Sol 5:13). His words contain all the music of David’s harp, all the wisdom of Solomon, the eloquence of Isaiah, and the pathos of Jeremiah. “Never man spake like this Man” (Jn 7:46) for no man so prayed, worked, loved, suffered, died and overcame.—A.C. Rose

Today’s Reading: Genesis 48-50   Memorize: Job 19:25-26

January 15

Posted by on Jan 15, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“The Word became flesh and dwelt among us” (Jn 1:14). If New Testament Christianity is to reappear today with its power and joy and courage, men must recapture the basic conviction that this is a Visited Planet. It is not enough to express formal belief in the “Incarnation” or in “the divinity of Christ”; the staggering truth must be accepted afresh that in this vast, mysterious universe, of which we are an almost infinitesimal part, the great Mystery whom we call God has visited our planet in person. It is from this conviction that there springs unconquerable certainty and unquenchable faith and hope. It is not enough to believe theoretically that Jesus was both God and Man…. The reason for the insufficiency of these things is that the modern mind, which has had its horizons widened in dozens of ways, has got to be shocked afresh by the audacious central Fact—that as a sober matter of history, God became one of us.—J.B. Phillips, NT Christianity, pp 36-37

Today’s Reading: Genesis 45-47  Memorize: Job 5:17-18

January 14

Posted by on Jan 14, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“‘Is not my word like fire,’ declares the Lord, ‘and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?’” (Jer 23:29). In Who Says, Fritz Ridenour makes the following observation: “Mighty potentates have raged against this Book, and sought to destroy and uproot it—Alexander the Great and princes of Egypt and Babylon, the monarchs of Persia, of Greece and of Rome, the Emperors Julius and Augustus—but they prevailed nothing. They are gone while the Book remains, and it will remain forever and ever, perfect and entire, as it was declared at first. Who has thus helped it—who has protected it against such mighty forces? No one, surely, but God Himself, who is Master of all things.” “The word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit…and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart” (Heb 4:12). It even anticipates what others are thinking and moves to answer their objections! How amazing is that?

Today’s Reading: Genesis 41-44  Memorize: Job 5:7

January 13

Posted by on Jan 13, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

A helpful guide to the effective use of biblical evidence is the Emmaus Study Course, Ready to Give an Answer by David Reid. He writes: “God asks us to defend and confirm the gospel (Phil 1:17). When the apostle Paul wrote, ‘I am appointed for the defense of the gospel’ (Phil 1:17), he was a prisoner in Rome, where most of the people were hostile to Christianity. God had placed him in that situation to defend and confirm the gospel in pagan Rome. Jude urged Christians to ‘contend earnestly for the faith’ (Jude 3) and Titus was told to refute the arguments of those who opposed his message (Titus 1:9). God expects all Christians to be able to defend and confirm the message of the Bible. In fact, He commands us to be ready and able to give answers! ‘Always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you’ (1 Pet 3:15), and ‘redeeming the time [make the most of every opportunity]…know how you ought to answer each one’ (Col 4:5-6).”

Today’s Reading: Genesis 38-40   Memorize: Job 4:17

January 12

Posted by on Jan 12, 2019 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Mel Trotter, who founded 66 rescue missions in key cities across the U.S., wrote: “I didn’t get a very good start in the first place; my job was tending bar in my father’s saloon. Booze got the best of me pretty early in life, and before I was twenty years old I was the common drunkard of our town.” Things went from bad to worse. “God gave us only one baby. When the little fellow was hardly two years old, one day after a ten-day’s drunk, I went to find my wife in our cold, bare home, if you can call it a home, and found our boy dead in his mother’s arms.” Trotter determined to end his life. Making his way to Chicago’s Lake Michigan shore to throw himself in, he felt the hand of Tom, a former card sharp who was standing in front of the Pacific Garden Mission. He shepherded him into the mission where Mel heard the story of the Savior’s love. Mel never left Skid Row. He spent his life reaching out to others who found hope when they thought there was none left.

Today’s Reading: Genesis 35-37  Memorize: 2 Chronicles 7:14