Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

December 11

Posted by on Dec 11, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

The Occult: With the rise of secularization, the rock culture and drug cults, the West has seen a resurgence of satanism and black arts. Occultare is Latin for secret or hidden. The truth can stand the light and the Bible shines on such practices (Deut 18:9-14; Acts 13:6-12; 19:19). As to Christ’s ministry, He said, “I spoke openly to the world…and in secret I have said nothing” (Jn 18:20). Of His victory: “Having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a show of them openly, triumphing over them” (Col 2:15). Concerning His resurrection: “Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly” (Acts 10:40). At His return, He will “bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts” (1 Cor 4:5). And of His followers, Paul said at his trial, “I am convinced that none of these things escapes [the king’s] attention, since this thing was not done in a corner” (Acts 26:26). The message they preached “was not of deceit…nor in guile” (1 Thess 2:3). Nor should ours.

Today’s Reading: Philemon; Hebrews 1-2  Memorize: 1 John 2:12

December 10

Posted by on Dec 10, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

David Livingstone (1813-1873), Scottish missionary and explorer of Africa, visited Cambridge on December 4, 1857. To the student body he said: “People talk of the sacrifice I have made in spending so much of my life in Africa. Can that be called a sacrifice which is simply paid back as a small part of a great debt owing to our God, which we can never repay? Is that a sacrifice which brings…bright hope of a glorious destiny hereafter? Away with the word! It is emphatically no sacrifice. Say rather it is a privilege. Anxiety, sickness, suffering, or danger…with a foregoing of the common conveniences and charities of this life, may make us pause, and cause the spirit to waver, and the soul to sink, but let this only be for a moment. All these are nothing when compared with the glory which shall hereafter be revealed in us. I never made a sacrifice. Of this we ought not to talk, when we remember the great sacrifice which He made who left His Father’s throne on high to give Himself for us.”

Today’s Reading: Titus 1-3  Memorize: 1 John 2:1-2

December 9

Posted by on Dec 9, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Is not My word like a fire?” says the Lord, “And like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?” (Jer 23:29). Christian apologist Bernard Ramm writes about the Bible and its critics: “A thousand times over, the death knell of the Bible has been sounded, the funeral procession formed, the inscription cut on the tombstone, and the committal read. But somehow the corpse never stays put. No other book has been so chopped, knived, sifted, scrutinized, and vilified. What book on philosophy or religion or psychology or belles lettres of classical or modern times has been subjected to such a mass attack as the Bible? with such venom and skepticism? with such thoroughness and erudition? upon every chapter, line, and tenet? The Bible is still loved by millions, read by millions, and studied by millions (Protestant Christian Evidences, pp. 232-233).” H.L. Hastings adds: “If the book had not been the book of God, men would have destroyed it long ago” (The Greatest Book in the World, pp. 17-18).

Today’s Reading: 2 Timothy 2-4  Memorize: 1 John 1:8-9

December 8

Posted by on Dec 8, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

In his biography by Johannes Gossner, Martin Boos (1762-1825), a Roman Catholic priest, tells how he was saved: “In 1788 or 1789 I visited a sick person respected for her deep humility and piety. I said to her, ‘You will die peacefully and happily.’ ‘Why so?’ she asked. ‘Because you have led such a holy life.’ The good woman smiled at my words and said, ‘If I leave the world relying on my own piety, I am sure to be lost. But relying on Jesus my Savior, I can die in comfort. What a clergyman you are! If I listened to you, what would become of me? No; if Christ had not died for me, if He had not made satisfaction for me, I should have been lost forever, notwithstanding all my good works. He is my hope, my salvation, and my eternal happiness.’” Happily for him, he was humble enough to receive the truth through so lowly an instrument. Receiving Christ as Savior, he tasted the peace and joy of salvation. Although persecuted severely, he led many, including priests, to trust alone in Christ as Savior.

Today’s Reading: 1 Timothy 5-6; 2 Timothy 1  Memorize: 1 John 1:5-7

December 7

Posted by on Dec 7, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“We preach Christ crucified, to the Jews a stumbling block, and to the Greeks foolishness” (1 Cor 1:23). I want to ask you a question. When the real Jesus was on earth and people met Him, how did they respond? Thankfully, some bowed before Him in adoration. Think of the cleansed Samaritan leper, or the repentant thief, or Thomas as he looked at Calvary’s war wounds. Others were terrified. Recall the demons called Legion, or the ruffians who came to arrest Him, driven back by the mere mention of His “I Am!” Still others were enflamed with hatred. They took up stones to stone Him. The crowd cried, “Crucify!” The high priest tore His garments. Was there any evidence that some merely tolerated Him, or expressed mild approval? Finding these pallid responses so common today, is it possible that we are not actually introducing our generation to the real Jesus after all? Should we not declare His own words, rather than paraphrasing the transforming power right out of what He said? —J.B.N.

Today’s Reading: 1 Timothy 2-4  Memorize: 2 Peter 3:11-12

December 6

Posted by on Dec 6, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

In These My People, Lil Dickson tells the story of a mountain village in Formosa during Japanese occupation: “The policeman there was like a little king. It seemed he could do anything. He became enraged because many were becoming Christians. So he issued an edict: within three days everyone must take an oath, ‘I will not become a Christian,’ or they would be tied hand and foot and thrown in the river. The people met to discuss the issue. Some said they better give up Christianity. But a boy stood up and said, ‘Don’t you remember? Jesus said, “Do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.”’ They all remembered, and one replied, ‘Let us die then, for we will go to be with Jesus.’ When the policeman heard, he said the execution would occur the next day. But that day, while fishing in the same river, the policeman drowned! Today everyone in the village is a Christian,” Dickson says.

Today’s Reading: 1 Thess. 5; 2 Thess. 1-3; 1 Timothy 1  Memorize: 2 Peter 3:9-10

December 5

Posted by on Dec 5, 2018 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

C.S. Lewis writes about his years as an atheist: “My argument against God was that the universe was so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man doesn’t call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe to when I was calling it unjust?…Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too—for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not that it just didn’t happen to please my fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God didn’t exist—in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless—I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality—namely my idea of justice—was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out…” — Broadcast Talks, pp. 40-41

Today’s Reading: 1 Thessalonians 2-4  Memorize: 2 Peter 1:16