Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

July 3

Posted by on Jul 3, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving; meanwhile praying also for us, that God would open to us a door for the Word, to speak the mystery of Christ…that I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak” (Col 4:2-4). Sometimes we shrink from witnessing because we’re afraid of looking stupid; we fear we might not have all the answers. It’s good to look for helpful answers that thinking people ask. But it is also amazing to see how the Holy Spirit helps in providing answers just when we need them. “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble” (Ps 46:1). One thing we all should practice saying: “I don’t know the answer to your question. Can I get back to you on that?” Remember the man born blind. When asked things he didn’t know, he said, “One thing I know…” (Jn 9:25). You can always say, “I don’t know that, but here’s one thing I do know.” If you wait until you have all the answers, you’ll be in heaven, and no one there needs your witness.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 123-125 Memorize: John 1:29

July 2

Posted by on Jul 2, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

In Good News is for Sharing, Leighton Ford recounts: “I was speaking at an open-air crusade in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Billy Graham was to speak the next night and had arrived a day early. He came incognito and sat on the grass at the rear of the crowd. Because he was wearing a hat and dark glasses, no one recognized him. Directly in front of him sat an elderly gentleman who seemed to be listening intently…When I invited people to come forward as an open sign of commitment, Billy decided to do a little personal evangelism. He tapped the man on the shoulder and asked, ‘Would you like to accept Christ? I’ll be glad to walk down with you if you want to.’ The old man looked him up and down, thought it over for a moment, and then said, ‘Naw, I think I’ll just wait till the big gun comes tomorrow night.’ In the minds of many people, evangelism is the task of the ‘Big Guns,’ not the ‘little shots.’” But we all have a part to play “and God has chosen the weak…” (1 Cor 1:27).

Today’s Reading: Psalms 120-122 Memorize: John 1:17

July 1

Posted by on Jul 1, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“The scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge” (Prov 1:22). “The new rebel,” writes G.K. Chesterton, “is a skeptic, and will not entirely trust anything…the fact that he doubts everything really gets in his way when he wants to denounce anything. For all denunciation implies a moral doctrine of some kind; and the modern revolutionist doubts not only the institution he denounces, but the doctrine by which he denounces it…The man of this school goes first to a political meeting, where he complains that savages are treated as if they were beasts; then he…goes on to a scientific meeting, where he proves that they practically are beasts.…In his book on politics, he attacks men for trampling on morality; in his book on ethics, he attacks morality for trampling on men. Therefore the modern man in revolt has become practically useless for all purposes of revolt. By rebelling against everything he has lost his right to rebel against anything.”

Today’s Reading: Psalms 117-119 Memorize: John 1:14

June 30

Posted by on Jun 30, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“God has spoken once, twice…” (Ps 62:11). Scottish physician W.P. Mackay remembered seeing his mother in agonizing prayer over his salvation. But it did not move him, and he grew increasingly godless. Years later, he treated a badly injured laborer. The man asked that his landlady be called, and to bring him “the Book.” Mackay was deeply impressed with the “happy expression constantly on his face.” After his death, a nurse asked, “What shall we do with this?” holding up the man’s Bible. Mackay wrote: “I took the Bible and—could I trust my eyes? It was my own Bible! The Bible which my mother had given me when I left my parents’ home, and which later, when short of money, I sold for a small amount. My name was still in it, written in my mother’s hand.” He concluded, “The regained possession of my Bible was the cause of my conversion.” Later he wrote: “We praise Thee, O God, for Thy Spirit of light, Who has shown us our Savior and scattered our night.”

Today’s Reading: Psalms 114-116  Memorize: John 1:11-12

June 29

Posted by on Jun 29, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

The historical elements of the gospel are found in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ “for our sins” and the multitude of witnesses that join the documentary evidence of Scripture (1 Cor 15:3-9). The doctrinal elements of the gospel are found in Acts 20:21, “repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.” The practical elements of the gospel are found many places and described by many terms. They should not be thought of as cumulative, a growing list of requirements, but different ways of saying the same thing. “Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame” (Rom 10:11). “Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved” (v. 13). “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved” (vv. 8-9). Come! Drink! Trust! Receive! Look and live! Sincere faith always obtains.

Today’s Reading: Psalms 109-113  Memorize: John 1:1-3

June 28

Posted by on Jun 28, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation” (2 Cor 6:2). Dawson Trotman writes: The very first trip that I ever took on United Airlines was on a twelve-passenger Boeing plane. It was about a three-hour trip and I wanted to share Christ with someone, but it wasn’t until the last half hour that I got up the nerve to talk to the stewardess. She said, “Do you know I’ve never heard this message before?” She was a church member, but she didn’t know that Christ died for her. She thanked me for speaking to her about her need of personal salvation. Evelyn Sadino accepted the Lord just as we came into Burbank. Three weeks later, while riding on a train, I picked up a newspaper and read: “United Airliner Crashes in Utah Mountains 50 Miles From Town.” Evelyn’s picture was there. She was a stewardess on that ill-fated plane. We never know how soon a person may die and enter eternity. Today is the day! — Born to Reproduce, pp 32-33

Today’s Reading: Psalms 106-108  Memorize: Luke 24:46-47

June 27

Posted by on Jun 27, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | Comments Off on June 27

To the writers of [the New Testament Epistles] this present life was only an incident. It was lived, with a due sense of responsibility, as a preface to sharing the timeless life of God Himself. To these men this world was only a part, and because of the cumulative result of human sin a highly infected and infectious part, of God’s vast created universe, seen and unseen. They trained themselves therefore, and attempted to train others, not to be taken in by this world, not to give their hearts to it, not to conform to its values, but to remember constantly that they were only temporary residents (see 1 Jn 2:15-16). Today, when all the emphasis is thrown on making the most of this life, and even Christianity is only seriously considered in many quarters because of its social implications, this point of view is comparatively rarely held. Yet as we read what they have to say we may perhaps find ourselves saying a little wistfully, “Perhaps these men were right.” — J.B. Phillips

Today’s Reading: Psalms 103-105  Memorize: Luke 24:26-27