Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

April 6

Posted by on Apr 6, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

I had been called at the last minute to speak at a conference. I spent the night preparing and was exhausted when the taxi arrived to take me to the airport. The cabbie, on discovering the purpose of my trip, asked my age; he thought I was too young for the task. I then asked him his age. “Fifty,” he replied. Flippantly I said, “So does life begin at 50?” “It hasn’t begun for me yet,” he responded. “Does your Bible have the answer?” My tiredness vanished as I shared with him the way of salvation. As I read scriptures to him, he suddenly pulled the car to the shoulder, put his head on the wheel, and began to pray. “Lord, You knew I needed this. I’m ready for all you want to do for me. Thank You, Jesus, for what you did to save a pathetic case like me.” Back on the road, his joy was evident as I shared with him the blessings of being in Christ. I wasn’t ready, but the Spirit was, and so was this poor soul. What grace that the Lord uses weak vessels. It’s all He has to work with! —J.B.N.

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 20-22; 2 Kings 1-2  Memorize: Isaiah 61:10

April 5

Posted by on Apr 5, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

The Jehovah’s Witnesses (Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society) began at a study with Charles Taze Russell in 1879, and now boasts 7.5 million adherents. Their magazine, Awake, has a circulation of more than 20,000,000 in over 130 languages. Russell proved himself a false prophet by declaring that 1914 would be the end of the Times of the Gentiles (admitted on their official website). JWs reject the doctrine of the Trinity, with Christ as the first creation of God (not God the Son), and the Holy Spirit being a force. They also deny hell as a permanent place of punishment, and that the afterlife consists of heaven for 144,000 chosen Witnesses, with eternity on the new earth for other Witnesses. All others will be annihilated. Although we are forbidden to receive them when on official business (see 2 Jn 10-11), there is no reason we cannot otherwise show them love and hospitality, as with any other unbeliever. Love, not arguments, will open their hearts to the truth.

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 17-19  Memorize: Isaiah 60:1-2

April 4

Posted by on Apr 4, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

One evening, Abigail Luffe was accosted on her way home. “What’s in your bag, lady?” Abigail held up her Bible: “I will give you this, the most valuable thing I possess, for it says, ‘For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever…’” Paralyzed with fright, she lost the ability to finish, only repeating “whosoever.” The thief angrily pushed her into a snowbank. Abigail hurried home where prayer was asked for the assailant. Four years passed. Traveling on a streetcar, Abigail was jostled as she paid the fare­—then discovered her purse missing. The next morning, a man came to her door and confessed that he was the thief in both cases. He explained that he had found in her purse a card. On one side was “Whosoever—that means you” and the words of John 3:16. On the other side, “Whosoever—that means you” and the verse “Whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.” He and two accomplices were saved that day.

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 14-16  Memorize: Isaiah 59:1-2

April 3

Posted by on Apr 3, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

I think of my fellow-sinners; my companions in crime and guilt. I would fain make some suitable amends to them. And what can be more appropriate in that view than the resolution, with reference to them, and all my fellow men, “I will teach transgressors Thy ways, and sinners shall be converted to Thee” (Ps 51:13). This is, and should be—it must be—the immediate and instinctive purpose of one who has himself known the ways of God, so as to be himself converted to Him. Can anyone who has really been thus taught and thus changed, refrain from the cry, “Come and hear, all ye that fear God, and I will declare what He hath done for my soul” (Ps 66:16). Will he not, moved by his own experience, feel his heart burn within him for souls who do not fear the Lord, souls all but perishing? Have I discovered the hidden treasure? Have I been snatched as a brand from the burning? And can I resist the imperative impulse to sound a general alarm? —C.H. Spurgeon

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 11-13  Memorize: Isaiah 57:15

April 2

Posted by on Apr 2, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

In the fourth century, the “golden-mouthed” Chrysostom of Antioch wrote: “I do not think of Christ as God alone, or Man alone, but both together. For I know He was hungry, and I know that with five loaves He fed five thousand. I know He was thirsty, and I know that He turned the water into wine. I know He was carried in a ship, and I know that He walked on the sea. I know that He died, and I know that He raised the dead. I know that He was set before Pilate, and I know that He sits with the Father on His throne. I know that He was stoned by the Jews, and I know that He was worshipped by angels. And truly some of these I ascribe to the human, and others to the divine nature. For by reason of this He is said to be both God and man.” “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen by angels, preached among the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up in glory” (1 Tim 3:16).

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 8-10  Memorize: Isaiah 55:7

April 1

Posted by on Apr 1, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God’” (Ps 14:1). Is the Bible being unkind or painfully truthful in making this statement? The story is told of a Christian and an atheist who were debating the question of the dependability of the Bible. The atheist asked, “Can you prove to me that an atheist is a fool, as your Bible says?” “Let me answer that by asking you a few questions. First, as it was stated when you were introduced, is it true that you have spent most of your adult life arguing against the existence of God?” “Well, yes,” responded the atheist. “Is it also true that a man could be rightly called a fool if he spends the majority of his life fighting against something he says does not exist?” The question hung in the silence, unanswered. The good news is this: God has made the unbeliever a promise: “You will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart” (Jer 29:13). It is not for lack of evidence, but for lack of diligence, that people do not find out God.

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 5-7  Memorize: Isaiah 55:6

March 31

Posted by on Mar 31, 2020 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

I was at a friend’s in Vancouver when two Mormons approached. As we engaged in conversation, I felt led to ask the older of the two, who was carrying the discussion, if he could say he loved the Lord Jesus. “I don’t know what you mean,” he replied. “Do you mean, do I admire him?” “No,” I insisted, “do you love Him?” “I don’t understand what you mean,” he repeated. “Are you married?” I asked. “Yes, I am.” “And do you love your wife?” “Yes, I do,” he said with a smile.” “Ah, you do know what I mean! Let me ask you again, Do you love the Lord Jesus?” “No, I can’t say that I do,” he replied honestly. I turned to those solemn words: “If anyone does not love the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be accursed” (1 Cor 16:22). I then explained his options. If you won’t love Him, you are rejecting His curse-bearing for you, so you must bear it yourself forever. But if you don’t love Him, then do love Him! You will love Him if you, as a poor sinner, meet Him as your Savior at the cross. — J.B.N.

Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 2-4  Memorize: Isaiah 53:11