Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

May 15

Posted by on May 15, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Do you take the Bible literally? The answer, of course, is “Yes and No.” A good answer this question: We take the Bible in its plain and obvious sense, unless otherwise indicated. It may be better to say we take a literary approach to the Word of God. Like any great literature, there are different ways of expressing ideas. Robert Little writes: “Parts of the Bible are obviously written in symbolic language, for example, Ezekiel’s vision of the cherubim. The book of Revelation is declared to be communicated in symbolic language (1:1), and it contains much that must be taken in this way. An example is the description of Christ in 1:12-20. To take such passages literally would only discredit the Bible. Yet there is much in the Bible which we believe is to be taken literally. A rule has been suggested that when the plain sense makes common sense, we should seek no other sense.” It is helpful to pray, “Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation” (Ps 25:5).

Today’s Reading: Job 4-6 Memorize: Matthew 11:25-26

May 14

Posted by on May 14, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

It is feared that much Christian activity is attempted without the work resting on a solid foundation of prayer, holiness, Bible study and dependence on the Spirit of God. In his book “From Death to Life,” William Haslam tells how he was busy with the construction of the new church building were he served. But he wasn’t even saved! An elderly Cornish woman, deeply taught in the things of God, arrested him one day as he walked by her cottage: “Mr. Haslam, are ye goin’ to build your spire from the top?” The question was an arrow to his heart, and he couldn’t get the thought out of his mind. “Am I absurdly trying to construct my Christianity from the top down?” It was the beginning of his search for the true basis for Christian living: “For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ” (1 Cor 3:11). As told elsewhere in the calendar, it led to his conversion during one of his own sermons as he preached from the pulpit of Baldhu church.

Today’s Reading: Job 1-3  Memorize: Matthew 10:34

May 13

Posted by on May 13, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again’” (John 3:7). Ravi Zacharias addresses an increasingly common complaint: “‘Why can’t we leave everybody alone to follow the religion within which they were born? Why all this proclamation and propagation?’ Once again, this demand challenges the very core of the Christian faith, because no one is born a Christian. The relationship a Christian claims is one that comes not by culture but by virtue of a personal choice to follow Jesus Christ. Christian ideas may be inherited within a culture, but the Christian commitment is a personal affirmation. I made that commitment at the age of seventeen. While the moment of my commitment was based on a hunger to know God, the years that have followed have taken me through an intellectual journey. That journey culminated in the conclusion that in Jesus I find not only every hunger of the heart met but also every pursuit of the mind.” — Why I Am a Christian, p 268

Today’s Reading: Esther 8-10   Memorize: Matthew 9:13

May 12

Posted by on May 12, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

John Townsend had been visiting a prisoner on death row. One day he said to his daughter Abbie, “This man will be executed tomorrow. He always welcomes me, but shows no interest in his soul. Would you have the courage to visit him?” Arriving at his cell, Abbie held out her hand, but he did not take it. So she took his hand in hers, trying to speak. Instead, a flood of tears fell on his hand. Mr. Townsend led her away, saying, “Remember, ‘He that goes forth and weeps bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing bringing his sheaves with him.’” At 6:30 the next morning a message came from the prison requesting another visit. When they met the man, he said, ‘You may think time spent with me has been in vain, but your daughter’s tears reminded me of my mother as she pled with me to tum to the crucified Lord. I now go to my punishment, but One has signed my pardon with His precious blood.’” “Is anything too hard for the Lord?” (Gen 18:14).

Today’s Reading: Esther 5-7 Memorize: Matthew 7:13-14

May 11

Posted by on May 11, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“For our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Spirit and in much assurance, as you know what kind of men we were among you for your sake” (1 Thess 1:5). What kind of men largely influenced what kind of results came from their gospel efforts—at least Paul thought so. In his seminal book, “Forward Movements of the Last Half Century,” A.T. Pierson writes: “All real advance finds its starting-point, as also its goal, in more conformity to God. Character lies back of conduct; what we are ultimately shapes what we do. Hence the stress of the whole word of God lies upon the transformation of the man himself. His outward acts, his gifts, his prayers, his whole external life, are of little consequence if they are not the expression and exhibition of a renewed spirit, an inner self that partakes of the beauty of the Lord.” What the Church in the West needs is not better arguments or better methods or better programs but better Christians.

Today’s Reading: Nehemiah 13; Esther 1-4 Memorize: Matthew 5:48

May 10

Posted by on May 10, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

I noticed her in the crowd; she looked to me like royalty. When I asked her to tell me her story, she said her father was a drunk and her mother slept to escape. No one cooked or cleaned or cared for the little girl. “One day, a beautiful lady met me on the street and asked, ‘Would you like to come to a place every week where you’ll be loved?’ She started attending her Sunday School class. The first week the teacher noticed she had no Bible, so arranged to take her for one the next day. “She could have just bought me one, but she made an event out of it—took me to a restaurant and bought be a milkshake. I’d had neither. Then we went to the bookstore, and she picked out for me a Bible with a leather cover. It was,” she said, “the turning point in my life. I remember reasoning, She must think there’s a future for me; she must think I’m going to stick around.” Is a soul worth the price of a Bible with a leather cover? Jesus thought you were worth more than the world. —J.

Today’s Reading: Nehemiah 10-12 Memorize: Matthew 5:17-18

May 9

Posted by on May 9, 2021 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Sanctification comes from the same root meaning as holiness. In its primary sense, it means to be different, then to be set apart, then to be wholly for God, and finally that process by which those who have been declared right shall be made right. “By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ” (Heb. 10:10). “Therefore Jesus also, that He might sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate. Therefore let us go forth to Him, outside the camp, bearing His reproach” (Heb 13:12-13). There is positional sanctification (Heb 10:14), experiential sanctification (2 Tim 2:21), and ultimate sanctification (1 Thess 5:23). The Word has a role (Jn 17:17), as do the Holy Spirit (1 Pet 1:2), other believers (1 Cor 7:14), and our personal wills (1 Thess 4:3-4). But it is greatly encouraging to know that “of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us…sanctification” (1 Cor. 1:30). In the mind of God, it is a completed fact (see Heb. 10:10, 14).

Today’s Reading: Nehemiah 7-9 Memorize: Matthew 3:16-17