Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

September 19

Posted by on Sep 19, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

My beloved first-born son and his precious wife have such a challenge with two special needs sons. As I grieved for them recently on a family holiday, the question gripped me, “Are you more compassionate than their heavenly Father?” Would I be like the one who snipped the restrictive opening of the chrysalis of an Emperor moth, only to watch the ease of the creature’s exit turn to tragedy? The struggles were needed to force the expansion of the wings, without which the moth could never fly. It has been well said that God had one Son without sin, but none without suffering. Those who question what has been called the “hardness of God’s love” unwisely fancy themselves more merciful than “the Father of mercies, and the God of all comfort” (2 Cor 1:3). I don’t know what aspect of Christ’s loveliness is being worked into the characters of those I see suffering, but I know they will consider it to have been worth it when they at last are brought “to glory” (Heb 2:10).

Today’s Reading: Daniel 10-12  Memorize: Romans 8:1-2

September 18

Posted by on Sep 18, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?” (Mt 16:26). While this is almost always applied to the lost, it was spoken by the Lord to His own. To turn it around, since your soul has been rescued by God’s Champion, what will you give Him in gratitude for such heavenly heroism? Here’s what David said “in the day that the Lord delivered him from the hand of all his enemies,…And he said, I will love Thee, O Lord, my strength” (Ps 18:1). “Now what will you give this gentleman for saving your life?” the grateful mother asked her little daughter as she stood before strong John Ellerthorpe, still dripping from her plunge into the water. She looked at the sailor who had pulled her from the water, then held up her little arms and said with a full heart, “A kiss.” Later, Ellerthorpe, in relating the incident, said, “I felt myself well rewarded for the trouble, and had a deeper feeling of satisfaction when that grateful child kissed me than I did when the townfolk presented me with a reward.”

Today’s Reading: Daniel 7-9  Memorize: Romans 7:4

September 17

Posted by on Sep 17, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Leonard Sheldrake reminds us that “No work is more noble or fraught with more blessed possibilities than sowing the seeds of the gospel.” What to sow? “The sower sows the word” (Mk 4:14). When should we sow? “In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening do not withhold your hand; for you do not know which will prosper, either this or that, or whether both alike will be good” (Eccl 11:6). Where do we sow? “Blessed are you who sow beside all waters” (Isa 32:20). How should we sow? “He who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” (2 Cor 9:6). And the result? Great rejoicing! “He who reaps receives wages, and gathers fruit for eternal life, that both he who sows and he who reaps may rejoice together” (Jn 4:36). So who provides the seed—and the strength to do the sowing—and the bounty of the harvest? “May He who supplies seed to the sower, and bread for food, supply and multiply the seed you have sown and increase the fruits of your righteousness” (2 Cor 9:10).

Today’s Reading: Daniel 4-6  Memorize: Romans 6:23

September 16

Posted by on Sep 16, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to Myself. This He said, signifying by what death He would die…“A little while longer the light is with you. Walk while you have the light, lest darkness overtake you; he who walks in darkness does not know where he is going. While you have the light, believe in the light, that you may become sons of light” (Jn 12:32-36). Return the Cross to Golgotha. I simply argue that the cross be raised again at the center of the marketplace, whether or not men place it on the steeple of the church. I am recovering the claim that Jesus was not crucified in a cathedral between two candles; but on a cross between two thieves: at a crossroad of politics so cosmopolitan that they had to write His title in Hebrew and in Latin and in Greek. It was also the kind of place where cynics talk smut, and thieves curse, and soldiers gamble. Because that is where He died, and that is what He died about. And that is where Christ’s men ought to be, and what church people ought to be about. —Anon.

Today’s Reading: Daniel 1-3  Memorize: Romans 6:17

September 15

Posted by on Sep 15, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

William Hoste lays out 5 important facts about new birth: 1. God is its Author. It cannot be worked up; it must come down. “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights…Of His own will He brought us forth [birthed us] by the word of truth” (Jas 1:17-18). 2. The Holy Spirit is its Agent. “Unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit’” (Jn 3:5-6). 3. The Word is its Instrument. “Having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever” (1 Pet 1:23). 4. The Lord Jesus is the Life provided. “This is the record, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son” (1 Jn 5:11). 5. Faith is the Means of receiving it. “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name” (Jn 1:12). Faith just takes God at His word.

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 46-48  Memorize: Romans 6:15

September 14

Posted by on Sep 14, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Patrick couldn’t find an answer to his soul hunger until a tourist struck up a conversation with him about spiritual things. Sensing his hunger, the visitor left him a New Testament. Through reading it, Pat found the Lord. The priest, noting his absence, paid him a visit and found Pat studying the Word. “What’s that you’re reading,” he asked. “Sure, your Riverence, it’s the New Testament.” “That’s not a book for the likes of you!” the priest exclaimed. “But I’ve just been reading what the apostle Peter wrote, ‘Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that you may grow by it’ (1 Pet 2:2).” “That’s right, but the Almighty has appointed the clergy as the milkmen.” “Well, I keep a cow, and when I was sick, I hired a man to milk it, and he was stealin’ half the milk an’ fillin’ the bucket with water. And, your Riverence, when I depended on you for the Word, sure it was the blue, watery stuff. But now I’m milkin’ me own cow and enjoyin’ the cream of the Word all the time.

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 43-45  Memorize: Romans 6:10

September 13

Posted by on Sep 13, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

How do you answer those who embrace the idea of reincarnation? Sometimes called the transmigration of the soul, it is an attempt to overcome the hopelessness of thinking there is nothing beyond death, while refusing to accept the Bible’s teaching as stated in Heb 9:27, “It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment.” But here is a wise way to respond. My friend Anil and I were speaking to an old Hindu who felt he should explain reincarnation to me. When he finished, I said, “Anil, what do you think of that?” Looking in love on the old Hindu, Anil said, “Do you know what I hear? You don’t want it to end at death, do you? But you don’t want to live in the same state you’re in now; you want to live in an improved state. Well, it’s not automatic. There is only one Person who has everlasting life. But if we could interface with Him, He could give us that everlasting life, and then we could live forever, not in an improved state, but in a perfected state.”

Today’s Reading: Ezekiel 38-42  Memorize: Romans 6:8