Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

July 28

Posted by on Jul 28, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Paul speaks of men “who suppress the truth” (Rom 1:18). John Blanchard writes: “Although countless scientists today hold to divine creation, Colin Patterson is right to claim that in many cases, ‘post-Darwinian biology is being carried out by people whose faith is in, almost, the deity of Darwin.’ If God is a non-starter, evolution seems to be the only show in town, and all scientific data must somehow be made to support it, even if the usual rules of assessment have to be suspended. Harvard geneticist Richard Lewontin is perfectly frank about this: ‘We take the side of science in spite of the patent absurdity of some of its constructs…because we have a prior commitment to materialism…Moreover, that materialism is absolute for we cannot allow a Divine foot in the door.’ The University of Chicago’s L.T. More makes the same connection: ‘Our faith in evolution depends on our reluctance to accept the antagonistic doctrine of special creation.’” — Evolution, Fact or Fiction? p 12

Today’s Reading: Isaiah 5-7 Memorize: John 11:25-26

July 27

Posted by on Jul 27, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

J. Hudson Taylor, gospel pioneer to China, though raised in a Christian home, remained ignorant of what it meant to become a true believer. He tried to “make” himself a Christian, but after failing in his attempts, he grew skeptical. He writes: “The inconsistencies of Christian people, who, while professing to believe their Bibles, were yet content to live just as they would if there were no such Book, had been one of the strongest arguments of my skeptical companions.” At age seventeen, to fill a boring afternoon, Taylor read a gospel tract that opened his eyes to see the finished work of Christ. He says: “Then came the thought, ‘If the whole work was finished and the whole debt paid, what is there left for me to do?’ And with this dawned the joyful conviction, as light was flashed into my soul by the Holy Spirit, that there was nothing in the world to be done but to fall down on one’s knees, and, accepting this Savior and His salvation, to praise Him forevermore.”

Today’s Reading: Song of Solomon 8; Isaiah 1-4 Memorize: John 10:27-28

July 26

Posted by on Jul 26, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Educator John Dewey (1859-1952), co-author of the Humanist Manifesto I, declared, “There is no God and there is no soul. Hence, there are no needs for the props of traditional religion. With dogma and creed excluded, then immutable truth is also dead and buried. There is no room for fixed, natural law or moral absolutes.” But you can’t logically argue against the existence of absolute truth. To argue against something is to establish that a truth exists. When he says, “There is no room for…moral absolutes” he wants to convince us that there are absolutely no absolutes, an utter nonsense. So with morality: “There’s nothing right, and nothing wrong!” Is that statement right or wrong? But how can we, with finite minds, know something absolutely? Paul explains that the gospel has come by revelation, “…now made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith” (Rom 16:25-26).

Today’s Reading: Song of Solomon 5-7 Memorize: John 10:9-11

July 25

Posted by on Jul 25, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Captain Gustav Stearns was an army chaplain with the 127th Infantry of the U.S. Expeditionary Forces in Europe during World War I. Wounded in battle, honored by General John Pershing for gallantry in action, in one day he buried 51 soldiers under shell-fire. He preached to over 4,000 wounded soldiers on one occasion, and was not afraid to preach a once-crucified, now living Savior. But one of his officers objected: “I wish you would stop preaching so much on the sacrifice of Christ. If you would tell us more about His beautiful life, we would be motivated to walk in His steps,” his superior suggested. “You will walk in His steps if I preach His life, will you?” replied Stearns. “Very well; the Word of God says He ‘did no sin’ (1 Pet 2:22). Can you walk in those steps?” “Of course not,” the officer responded. “Then,” said Stearns, “it is not an example you require, but a Savior from sin. That is why I have preached, and shall continue to preach, the sacrifice of Christ.”

Today’s Reading: Song of Solomon 2-4 Memorize: John 8:36

July 24

Posted by on Jul 24, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts” (1 Thess 2:4). In his book, Tales of Great Truths, G.A. Neilson tells of an incident when some unbelievers decided to send their best debater to argue with a local preacher. He was received kindly and began the conversation abruptly: “I believe there is a dispute between us. I thought I would call on you this morning and settle it.” “And what it this disagreement between us?” asked the Christian. “Well, you say,” continued the visitor, “that the impenitent will suffer for eternity, and I don’t think they will.” “If that’s all it is,” responded the believer, ‘then I can tell you there is no dispute between us after all.” “No?” the man replied incredulously. “If you turn to Matthew 25:46,” continued the preacher, ‘you will find the dispute is actually between you and the Lord Jesus. I advise you to go immediately and settle it with Him.”

Today’s Reading: Ecclesiastes 11-12; Song of Solomon 1 Memorize: John 8:34

July 23

Posted by on Jul 23, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“God” in various religions might be thought of as benevolent towards creation, but the gospel was Good News when it first burst on the world because men realized “God is Love.” The revelation provided by Christ Himself, the awe-full brunt of suffering which He was prepared to bear in order to redeem mankind, His triumph over man’s last enemy, His ascension to timeless reality taking Human Nature with Him—all these showed one thing, that God is by nature Love and that He loves humanity. Those who accepted this foundation-truth…found that their own “love-energy,” which had previously been turned in on themselves or was being given to the wrong things, now became an outflowing love embracing those for whom Christ died…I am convinced that what we need to recover, perhaps more than anything else, is the conviction that God is not merely kindly disposed towards us, but that He is Love. — J.B. Phillips, New Testament Christianity, pp 94-95

Today’s Reading: Ecclesiastes 8-10 Memorize: John 8:32

July 22

Posted by on Jul 22, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

J. Budziszewski, a “repentant atheist,” writes: “How then did I become undeceived? Not because anyone called my bluff. When I told the faculty of the University of Texas that there is no rationally knowable difference between good and evil and that we aren’t responsible for our deeds anyway, they gave me a job teaching the young.” Explaining the change, he says: “I did pray to God one night. I told him that I thought I was talking to the wall. I said that if he existed, he could have me, but he would have to show me because I couldn’t tell. As the minutes ticked past, the wall looked more and more like a wall, and I felt a fool. Yet he did hear my prayer. I came, months later, to feel a greater and greater horror about myself…though I did not know it at the time, it was what John’s Gospel calls the conviction of sin. I believe that the Holy Spirit, in answer to my prayer, had been secretly cutting a door in the stone wall of my self-deception.” — Why I Am a Christian, pp 59-60

Today’s Reading: Ecclesiastes 5-7 Memorize: John 8:24