Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners

grain

This perpetual calendar includes:

• Remarkable testimonies of souls won to the Savior
  • Explanations of gospel concepts
  • Answers to frequently-asked questions
  • Stories of real-life witnessing opportunities
  • Encouragements and tips for sharing the glorious gospel

April 30

Posted by on Apr 30, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

How can you believe a Bible that is full of contradictions? Josh McDowell writes: “Certain passages at first glance appear to be contradictory, but further investigation will show that this is not the case.” McDowell points out that different descriptions may be complementary, not contradictory (see one or two blind men, Mt 9:27; Mk 10:46). Also there are translation issues: did the men at Saul’s conversion hear the voice from heaven or not? (Acts 9:7, genitive; 22:9, accusative). They heard the sound, but couldn’t distinguish the words. McDowell concludes: “Some difficulties in Scripture result from our inadequate knowledge about the circumstances, and do not necessarily involve an error…As historical and archaeological study proceed, new light is being shed on difficult portions of Scripture and many “errors” have disappeared with the new understanding.” “So shall I have an answer for him who reproaches me, for I trust in Your word” (Ps 119:42).

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 24-26  Memorize: Habakkuk 3:17-18

April 29

Posted by on Apr 29, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

“Because there is wrath, beware lest he take you away with one blow: then a great ransom cannot deliver you” (Job 36:18). Harry Ironside tells the story of meeting “a very refined and elegant lady on a steamer, who asked indignantly, ‘You don’t mean to say I have to go to heaven like the dying thief, do you?’ ‘No, madam,’ I replied, ‘you do not have to. If you reject Christ, you will have to go to hell with the other.’ And so we would remind the reader: The saved thief believed on the Son of God, and is with Christ now. The lost thief scorned a Savior, and is in the depths of woe. You must be with one or the other for eternity. On another occasion a young man said, after hearing the gospel, ‘Of course, I intend to be saved some time; but there is no use being in a hurry about it. There is always a chance, even at the eleventh hour. Remember the dying thief!’ ‘Which thief?’ pointedly asked his questioner. One was saved that none may despair; but only one, that none may presume.”

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 21-23  Memorize: Habakkuk 1:13

April 28

Posted by on Apr 28, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

It’s good to have some simple ways in mind to present gospel truth. For example, an outline of John 3:16, as follows, can be easily sketched on a paper napkin at a restaurant table as you speak to a friend who is searching but still without Christ. The verse can be arranged as follows:

GOD LOVED: “God so loved the world”I BELIEVE: “that whoever believes on Him shall not perish”
GOD GAVE:
“That He gave His only begotten Son”I HAVE: “but have everlasting life.”
John 3:16

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 18-20  Memorize: Nahum 1:7

April 27

Posted by on Apr 27, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Eric Liddell, the winner of the 400 metre race at the 1924 Paris Olympics, was a consecrated Christian. The film Chariots of Fire accurately recounts his refusal to run his best event, the 100 metre race, because it was on the Lord’s Day, and how someone slipped a paper to him as he stood at the starting blocks; it read: “Them that honor Me I will honor” (1 Sam 2:30). Born in China to missionary parents, he returned there to serve the Lord until his death in a Japanese prison camp in 1943. His last words were, “It’s complete surrender.” The story is told how he left Scotland in 1925. A huge crowd gathered at Waverly Station to bid him farewell. He addressed them, saying, “Let our motto be ‘Christ for the World, for the World Needs Christ’.” He then led them in singing “Jesus shall reign.” Isaac Watts’ hymn continues: “Blessings abound where’er He reigns; The prisoner leaps to loose his chains; The weary find eternal rest, And all the sons of want are blest.”

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 13-17  Memorize: Micah 7:18

April 26

Posted by on Apr 26, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

If the Bible is rooted in history, that presents a problem: how can you trust the accounts of Jesus when we now know that history is simply propaganda written by the winners? This is an increasingly popular view, especially in academia. Postmodernist historian Greg Dening argues: “History is something we make rather than something we learn…I want to persuade [my students] that any history they make will be fiction.” The argument quickly grows less robust when the Holocaust is mentioned. Do we not have evidence galore for it’s reality? Yet less than a generation later, Holocaust deniers reject it’s historicity. Amy Orr-Ewing writes: “Luke and the other Gospel writers recorded the events that had taken place with scrupulous accuracy. Their intention in writing was that we as future generations could read about Christ confidently, knowing that historians had thoroughly researched and compiled the material in a rigorous way.” See Luke 1:3-4; 2 Pet 1:16.

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 10-12  Memorize: Micah 7:7

April 25

Posted by on Apr 25, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

Ira Sankey tells of an incident in Brooklyn, NY. “A fine-looking young man came into the inquiry room. I asked him if he was willing to accept Christ as his Savior. He bowed his head in his hands, while his whole frame shook: “Jesus will not accept me.” “Why not?” “For the last eight years I have traveled the world, speaking against Him.” He explained that his Christian mother in Scotland had made him promise to attend when Moody came to the city. “Do you want Him to forgive you?” I asked. “Yield to Christ and he will receive you.” He bowed his head, his trembling form telling how deeply he was moved. After a hard struggle, he took my hand: “By the grace of God, I take Jesus Christ as my Savior now!” A few evenings later, I met him at the door. He said he had sent a cable to his mother. “I just said, ‘I’ve found Jesus,’ and signed my name.” “Thank the Lord,” I said. “Yes,” he exclaimed, “that’s just what my mother cabled back, “Thank the Lord, O my soul.’” So pray on!

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 7-9  Memorize: Micah 6:8

April 24

Posted by on Apr 24, 2017 in Seed Thoughts for Soul Winners | 0 comments

If God made everything, who made God? John Lennox responds: “One of the central arguments of The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins’ book, is the famous school-boy argument, ‘If we believe in a Creator, we’ll have to ask: Who created the Creator?’ But if you ask, ‘Who created God?’ you are thinking of created gods. Now the ancient world knew all about created gods; we call them idols. If Richard Dawkins thinks he is demolishing belief in created gods, then good for him! But he could have written a far shorter book, because millions of us don’t need any convincing that created gods are a delusion. Christianity, of course, does not believe in a created God; it believes in a God who is eternal and is the Creator of everything else. In other words, the God of the Bible is, by definition, uncreated.” Thus there is no infinite regress. And, in the end, it is not merely a philosophical question: “The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms” (Deut 33:27).

Today’s Reading: 2 Chronicles 4-6  Memorize: Micah 5:2